Re: Oracle Names with both regional database and chrckpoints files

From: Vincent Ventrone <vav_at_brandeis.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 17:33:00 -0500

> However we don't want to install oname databases on distant sites and need
> this sites can continue to work, even if the WAN is down between them and
> us.
>
> Then, I have read the docs, search and read a huge amount of docs and
forums
> on Metalink but I could not find the information I need : is it possible
> have both regional database and checkpoints files on distant onames
servers ?

We have been using an Onames Server *without* a Region DB for about 6 months & in general it has worked well. There have been a few small glitches, which usually mean forcing it to rebuild its local cache file. An Onames Server can be configured to use a Region DB *or* a cache file only (built via the DDO option) but not both. You can mix & match the two types of Names Servers in your network but we have not (yet) tried that. As far as I know, the checkpoint feature is specifically designed to allow a Names Server that uses a Region DB to continue to function even if the Region DB is unavailable. From what I understand all you need to do is to include this parameter in its names.ora config file: NAMES.CACHE_CHECKPOINT_INTERVAL = 600 The cache file is called "ckpreg.ora". Received on Mon Nov 26 2001 - 16:33:00 CST