Re: Can NOT Open Database After a Second NIC Added

From: Sybrand Bakker <oradba_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 22:45:09 +0100

On Sat, 24 Nov 2001 19:41:52 GMT, "Alvaro Fuentes" <alvarof2_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi Fellow Oracler's:
>
>My environment is: SUN Solaris8, running Oracle8i v.8.1.7.0.0 Enterprise.
>
>The DB was running OK until I added a second NIC to the
>SUN Ultra, assigned a second IP, modified the necessary files (/etc/hosts,
>/etc/hostname.interface2, etc) so that everybody can log
>to this server machine now using both IP's.
>
>When I tried to start Oracle, it came with the following error:
>
>"ORA-00101: Invalid Specification Parameters MTS_DISPATCHERS"
>
>I went and checked any Oracle config file with MTS_DISPATCHERS, and
>only my initmyinstance.ora has:
>
># mts_dispatchers = "(PROTOCOL=TCPS)(PRE=oracle.aurora.server.SGiopServer)"
>
>which should be uncommented if I will be using SSL, but I dont.
>
>I created a second listener: listener2 @port 1522, with the new second
>interface and second hostname assigned to this interface.
>
>I checked the other obvious files like: sqlnet.ora, listener.ora.
>
>Started the second listener and same error: the database couldnt be
>mounted and opened.
>
>Any light on this issue will be greatly appreciated.
>Any Configuration file I should add: mts_dispatchers =......... ???
>
>Thanks
>A. Fuentes
>afuentes_at_goodpremises.com
>512-297-9937

You don't really need the listener to connect to the database _locally_. So I would suggest try to start the database without the listener runnning, start up sql*plus and issue show parameter mts_dispatchers
(as there is a default value which will be set regardless any setting in init<sid>.ora, and I don't think it is documented. I do remember though they try running MTS over IPC)
From there on -if this succeeds- we could try to proceed.

The other route would be setting up a _correct_ value for mts_dispatchers
something like
mts_dispatchers=(protocol=tcp)(host=<yourhost>)(port=1521)

Question: did you change anything at all in listener.ora. It's not going to run from two differrent IP, using 2 different ports. If you want to do that you'll need two listeners (defined in 1 listener.ora)

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sat Nov 24 2001 - 15:45:09 CST