Search Problem

From: Matt Morton-Allen <matt_at_phoroneus.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 15:30:43 +1100

Hi,
I am trying to create a web based search of a simple table of a telephone directory. The search is a standard web search where you enter the search term and get the results that match. My problem is that cannot figure out how to search many small fields (20) for the one term without a massively inefficient use of OR's and LIKEs '%text%'.

I looked at the interMedia stuff which seems okay but seems to require an index for each field. Since some of the fields are quite small (as little as 20 characters) this seems like overkill and doesn't really solve the OR problem anyway.

So any suggestions on where to look?

Matt. Received on Fri Nov 23 2001 - 22:30:43 CST