Re: degree of parallelism

From: koert54 <koert54_at_nospam.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 18:11:59 GMT

A parallel degree of 3 doesn't mean there are only 3 processes involved ...

Example - PARALLEL(table, 3, 1)
if you give this hint with a query that is doing a sort operation you'll find that it's using 7 processes !
1 Query coordinatior
3 PQ slaves for querying
3 PQ slaves for sorting data coming from the first 3 query slaves

The last parameter in the parallel degree hint is the inter instance parallellism for parallel server (or rac) - you can execute 1 query over multiple instances in a clustered (OPS/RAC) environment .....