Re: Oracle is consistent

From: J. Fleck <fleckj__at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 15:19:08 +0100

Hans,

Unfortunately I am trying to install it in a private capacity. I don't have access to Metalink. I think that the ora-12560 problem has something to with ADSL and a shared internnet connection but I am not really certain. I will keep on trying.

Regarding my second question the answer was something like (sorry don't know exactly any more since I don't have access at the moment to that system )

ora-XXXXX - recursion error at level 1
ora-XXXXX - cannot insert null object into <something>

The point being that Oracle' s error messages can sometimes be very obscure.sometimes.

Jim

"Hans Forbrich" <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net> wrote in message news:3BF81F5D.9B69BFE4_at_telusplanet.net...
> Jim,
>
> As I mentioned, I've done a number of installs and not had a problem, so I
admit
> I'm baffled why you are running into that problem - strongly suggest you
go
> through MetaLink and get Support involved. I assume you have checked
Oracle's
> Error Messages manual (available on technet.oracle.com) with no success.
>
> On the other question - both 8.1.7 and 9.0.1 result in error "ORA-01741:
illegal
> [...]
> P_LOCAL_VARIABLE.
>
> HTH
> /Hans
>

> "J. Fleck" wrote:
>
> > Hans,
> >
> > Thanks for reacting. I don't realy blame Oracle. I am almost certain
that it
> > is my fault (or my hardware configuration). However a number of points:
> > - The Oracle documentation does not does not adequatelt this error
> > - I installed as adminstrator. Oracle will not install if you are not
logged
> > in as admistrator. Qracle does then add me to another group (ORA_DBA)
> > - I have 1 gig memory
> > - I completely removed every reference to Oracle (in what you correctly
> > describe as that disaster called) the registry
> > - I cannot find anything in the installdocumentation that explains why I
> > should be receiving the message ORA-12560 when trying to install the
sample
> > database
> > - I cannot find anything at all (on the internet) which clearly explains
> > me) what this message means
> > - A last question:
> > Do you know what the Oracle error message from the following
(incorrect)
> > statements is:
> >
> > declare
> > p_local varchar2(10);
> > begin
> > p_local_variable := "";
> > end;
> >
> > I am talking about versie 8.1.5 - I must try it under later versions
> >
> > regards
> >
> > Jim Fleck
> > "Hans Forbrich" <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> > > Jim,
> > >
> > > I suspect that your problem is more environmental - possibly too
little
> > memory,
> > > too many secondary or perhaps conflicting processes, network card or
> > account
> > > priveledge issues. Or possibly the edition of W2K. Or some
conflicting
> > > program. Or you might have something from an earlier problematic
install
> > stuck
> > > in that wonderful insanity called the registry.
> > >
> > > Come to think of it, you probably did yourself in by having installed
> > under a
> > > non-administrator account and then retroactively changing to admin
> > capabilities,
> > > as you clearly indicate.
> > >
> > > I do a lot of demos and like to work with a fresh environment,
including
> > > Oracle8i (8.1.6, 8.1.7) or Oracle9i, every couple of weeks. As a
result,
> > I've
> > > done about 15 installs in the past few months - and not one of them
has
> > taken
> > > more than 1 1/2 hours until up and running. And currently I have
Oracle
> > 8.1.7
> > > and Oracle9i running. I also know many, many others who have had no
> > difficulty.
> > >
> > > It's sad to hear specific incidents of difficulty, but possibly
> > inappropriate to
> > > blame Oracle. Kind of reminds me of the guy who blamed Ford when he
> > couldn't
> > > figure out how to install new wiper blades ...
> > >
> > > Unfortunately many people who have problems installing Oracle on
Wintel do
> > so
> > > because they assume the installation is on the same order of
complexity as
> > most
> > > Windows games. Thus they rarely read the manual, the readme, or
anything
> > else.
> > > For those people, and especially those who like the joke about
airlines -
> > > remember; no matter who built it, when we go for a ride, we hope
trained
> > > professionals maintain and fly commercial aircraft.

> > Oracle

> > selecting
Account'