Re: Differences % INTERNAL and SYS

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 19:04:14 +1100

The fundamental difference is that SYS is a real account, and INTERNAL isn't an account at all (try doing a select username from dba_users and seeing whether somebody called 'INTERNAL' is ever listed).

INTERNAL is simply a key word that means 'log me on as a privileged user' (ie, one who is able to perform the 5 privileged actions of startup, shutdown, backup, recover or create database). If you do a select user from dual after connecting internal, you'll actually find yourself logged on as SYS -but as SYS with the privileges to do the privileged actions, instead of the more normal (though still very powerful) SYS user.

INTERNAL was deprecated in 8i, and has totally vanished in 9i. In its stead is another keyword meaning the same thing -or, rather, two key words: "AS SYSDBA". Hence "connect sys as sysdba" is exactly the same functionally as "connect internal". Since internal disappears in 9i, get out of the habit of using that keyword now, before investing time and effort in developing administration scripts that will break the second you upgrade.

Regards
HJR

--
Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com