VTK-1000: with a new twist

From: Justin Redus <mazrim_at_onebox.com>
Date: 22 Nov 2001 20:46:36 -0800

Ok first off, howdy all.. Have been reading threw alot of the stuff posted here, and am very impressed with the level of knowledge... The problem I am having has been experienced by many and the solution has been posted, but for some reason that solution doesnt work for me. Im going to explain in summary whats going on, then in detail for troubleshooting purposes. If you can come up with a solution just from the summary please bypass the long explanation.

"Could not start the OracleOraHomeManagementServer on Local Computer.
The service did not return an error. This could be an internal windows error or an internal service error. If the problem persists contact your system administrator."

---

Details

2 identical boxes with Windows 2000, 1 gig, 512 megs of ram

First box
Tsnyder -  Installed Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 3 (8.1.7) for
Windows 2000/NT

No problems, the "Typical" installation created my database.   Able to
log in via DBA studio and start up/shutdown database etc.

Second box
Jredus - Installed the 8.1.7 Client (included in EE and SE downloads)
   win817client.zip (213,726 kB)

No problems, able to connect to Tsnyder and manipulate the database
threw DBA studio.

Jredus- Installed em22_3packs.zip (389,019,304 bytes) - Oracle
Enterprise Manager with Change Management, Diagnostics, and Tuning
Packs (Installation Guide)

No problems, able to create repository and a user.   I go to start the
service OracleOraHomeManagementServer which now appears on in jredus's
services but recieve

"Could not start the OracleOraHomeManagementServer on Local Computer.
The service did not return an error. This could be an internal windows error or an internal service error. If the problem persists contact your system administrator." I set the properties to where "interact with desktop" is deslected.. no change. I try to log in to the Enterprise Manager console but recieve the message VTK-1000: Unable to connect to the management server jredus.internal.cyrusone.com. Please verify that you have the correct host name and the status of the Oracle Management Server. ---- I am in a bit of a bind here... ive been stuck here for over a week and spent more than 20 hours reading about possible solutions to this problem. The best information I have found yet has been from here in this group, so I will post my problem here and hope for the best. Sorry it was so long winded, I wanted to be as detailed as I could for troubleshooting purposes. Thanks, Justin Redus