Re: Listener in Oracle 8.1.7

From: koert54 <koert54_at_nospam.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 22:32:21 GMT

Thanks Sybrand - I knew you would look that up for me - did you also find that event I was talking about ?

> > Actually with 8i you don't even need a listener.ora anymore - but this
is
> > only recommended for reaaaal simple
> > setups.
> is simply incorrect.
> You do need the listener.ora to setup for external procedure calls and you
> do need the listener.ora for OEM.

yep - the OEM tcl scripts parse that stuff and yep you'll need a listener.ora for external procedure calls - also you want to configure anything exotic like queuesize or SDU/TDU stuff you'll need listener.ora... but for simply
connecting to the DB you don't need it - it think its a pretty useless feature too ... but hey - if you think it's not correct .. try it yourself ....

you know what - since you like metalink that much I looked it up for you : doc.id 76636.1
I might be very lazy - but I know it - and I admit it :-) I only have a good idea now and then that enables me to do
even less work ... aren't 99% of all DBA's like this ? why else create a website www.lazydba.com :-)

PURPOSE  The purpose of this document is to discuss the Service Registration feature of Net8i.

SCOPE & APPLICATION  This document is intended for DBAs.

RELATED DOCUMENTS Note 76531.1 : Service Name Usage in Net8i

1.0 INTRODUCTION

Prior to Oracle 8i, a listener was statically configured (listener.ora) to service a given set of SIDs. From 8i, PMON dynamically registers a database service with the listener.

Further, if the listener is running on the default TCP port of 1521, then there is no need to configure a listener.ora at all.

2.0 USING A DEFAULT LISTENER

A listener.ora file is not required in order to use the default listener.

The listener is started in the conventional manner:  $lsnrctl start

This listener will listen on two addresses:

   (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(KEY=PNPKEY))
   (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(PORT=1521))

In order to change parameters to non default values (such as enabling listener tracing), then a listener.ora should be created with the relevant parameters specified. The listener then needs to be restarted.

By default, PMON will register the database service with the listener on port
1521.

... blah blah