Re: Listener in Oracle 8.1.7

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 22:48:42 +0100

Next time, please look up look up the documentation when you are not certain of your answer, instead of being lazy.

From the 8.1.7 documentation

REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE
Parameter type: String

Syntax: REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE=

{NONE | SHARED | EXCLUSIVE} Parameter class: Static

Default value: NONE

Oracle Parallel Server: Multiple instances must have the same value.

REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE specifies whether Oracle checks for a password file and how many databases can use the password file.

NONE: Oracle ignores any password file. Therefore, privileged users must be authenticated by the operating system.

EXCLUSIVE: The password file can be used by only one database and the password file can contain names other than SYS and INTERNAL. This setting is required for Oracle Parallel Server.

SHARED: More than one database can use a password file. However, the only users recognized by the password file are SYS and INTERNAL.

Hence, your answer is simply incorrect.

Also this remark

> Actually with 8i you don't even need a listener.ora anymore - but this is
> only recommended for reaaaal simple
> setups.

is simply incorrect.
You do need the listener.ora to setup for external procedure calls and you do need the listener.ora for OEM.

Regards

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA

"koert54" <koert54_at_nospam.com> wrote in message

> 1. With 8i remote_password_login (I'm too lazy to look it up ... you'll
what
> I mean when you open init.ora)
> is set to exclusive by default - this is not the case prior to 8i.
> Set it to NONE if you don't to give a password when connection as internal
!
> This is normal behavious.
> To change the password recreate the password file using orapwd
>
> 2. This is because you have a service defined in listener.ora AND,
starting
> from Oracle 8i PMON will
> register itself with the listener - hence you'll have 2 services for one
DB.
> It has nothing to do
> with you connecting as internal with servermanager - merely a
coincidence...
> Actually with 8i you don't even need a listener.ora anymore - but this is
> only recommended for reaaaal simple
> setups. If you don't whant PMON to register itself with the listener you
can
> set an event (I don't know the event
> number by hear - if anyone is interested I'll look it up) OR you can do it
> lazy dba style :-) by setting local_listener in init.ora
> to a non-existing listener... this way PMON will fail to register at
startup
> and won't try again !
>
> regards,
> Koert
>

> "Sybrand Bakker" <oradba_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message
> > On Thu, 22 Nov 2001 17:02:10 +0100, "Hans-Peter"
> > <hans-peter.henrichsen_at_capgemini.se> wrote:
> >
> > >Hello,
> > >
> > >I have two questions..
> > >
> > >IZve installed Oracle 8.1.7 on our Windows 2000 server. I realized when
> > >try to connect internal in Server manager I have to confirm with
> password.
> > >As far as I know you should be able to connect internal without
> confirming
> > >with password. Right? if so, how?
> > >
> > >When I run "lsnrctl status" I see that I have one service of my
Instance