Re: to many switch logfile

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 18:06:47 -0000

The recent re-implementation of log_checkpoint_timeout more or less eliminates the issue of 'long recovery times' being associated with large log files - the timeout now guarantees (nearly) that the amount of log to be applied in the event of a crash is the amount that would have been generated in 'log_timeout_seconds'.

By the way, another reason for slow performance here is that log_checkpoint_timeout has been set to 10 seconds, so Oracle is working very hard to get dirty blocks written to disk very rapidly anyway - but your estimate of 500MB for the log files looks pretty good to me.

--
Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Host to The Co-Operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Author of:

Screen saver or Life saver: http://www.ud.com
Use spare CPU to assist in cancer research.