Re: ORA-04031 during export

From: Andre Doehn <a.doehn_at_gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 16:18:24 +0100

thanks manuela,
i solved this problem by increasing the JAVA_POOL_SIZE to the default one 20 mb..
thanks
bye
andre

"Manuela Mueller" <520040906697-0001_at_t-online.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3BFC2F25.D4EAE1A_at_t-online.de...
Andre Doehn wrote:

> > more likely you run out of space in the shared pool.
> > $ oerr ORA 04031
> > 04031, 00000, "unable to allocate %s bytes of shared memory
> > (\"%s\",\"%s\",\"%s\",\"%s\")"
> > // *Cause: More shared memory is needed than was allocated in the
> > shared
> > // pool.
> > // *Action: If the shared pool is out of memory, either use the
> > // dbms_shared_pool package to pin large packages,
> > // reduce your use of shared memory, or increase the amount of
> > // available shared memory by increasing the value of the
> > // INIT.ORA parameters "shared_pool_reserved_size" and
> > // "shared_pool_size".
> > // If the large pool is out of memory, increase the INIT.ORA
> > // parameter "large_pool_size".
>
> i know the error description but i increased the shared pool size but it
> didnīt help?!
>
> > To get more info issue
> > SQL> select * from v$sgastat where name = 'free memory';
> > Maybe this gets you a clue what's going wrong.
>
> i got:
>
> SQL> select * from v$sgastat where name = 'free memory';
>
> POOL NAME BYTES
> ----------- -------------------------- ----------
> shared pool free memory 50372360
> large pool free memory 1048576
> java pool free memory 4096
>
> maybe i have to go back to the default JAVA_POOL_SIZE of 20mb?
>
> thanks!
> bye
> andre

Hi Andre,
did a little bit of investigation at google, because your result on v$sgastat puzzled me (obviously no fragmentation, no full shared pool, and I love my linux box). I found a thread one year old describing exactly your problem.
URL is too long, truncated it:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&threadm=8si440%24s5k%241%40ichabod.han .de&rnum=25&prev=/groups%3Fq%3DORA-04031%26hl%3Den%26start%3D20%26sa%3DN

The OP solved it by increasing the java_pool_size to 4MB. Don't ask me why this helped him out... some sort of black box.

Regards
Manuela Mueller Received on Thu Nov 22 2001 - 09:18:24 CST