Re: Extents

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 13:18:55 -0000

Oracle 9 may have re-introduced the number of extents as an issue.

If you use 'segment space management auto', the typical action is to produce a 1st level bitmap block as the first block of every extent - although my first experiment creating a large table table with a small extent size resulted in lots of 1st level blocks covering 4 extents, and one 2nd level block covering all the first level blocks.

Upshot - in a table with 512 blocks, I had 24 blocks allocated to space management, whereas previously I would have had only one (the segment header block) or a max
of 5 if I had thought multiple free list groups were necessary.

It's a small percentage - but those blocks still impact on rollback, redo, and I/O.

--
Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Host to The Co-Operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Author of:

Screen saver or Life saver: http://www.ud.com
Use spare CPU to assist in cancer research.