Re: Oracle and TCL

From: Ron Reidy <rereidy_at_indra.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 14:38:36 -0700

timkarnold wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I've noticed OEM uses TCL to invoke RMAN and run other jobs.
> Is anybody actively coding in TCL? What kinds of application does it have?
> There doesn't seem to be much discussion about so I assume it is of limited
> use(?)
>
> Thanks,
> Tim Arnold

Oratcl is a sourceforge project and can be found at http://sourceforge.net/projects/oratcl/

I have done some oratcl for OEM. Real basic stuff for a former client, who never implemented it.

The types of applications are limited only by one's mind. They do not necessarily need to be OEM jobs.

The reason you don't see much discussion here (IMHO), is that tcl is not a very robust language. Perl and Python are much better (again, IMHO), but Oracle chose to use tcl. Their argument was that it is portable. Anyone who has used Perl and Python know these are alos portable.

--
Ron Reidy
Oracle DBA