Re: Collective Time of executing multiple queries in parallel and sequential

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 16:59:37 GMT

Difficult to answer. Depends. Is there enough IO and CPU to handle multiple connections? If there were a million connections and each one issued a query at the same time then you would backup on the CPU and IO limits. In that case it might be that the overhead of managing all those would overwhelm any advantage. I think that yes, multiple connections up to a point will be faster. More CPU and faster IO will help also make sure you use bind variables. That alone will help greatly (lowers CPU usage).

One thing to consider is that each connection will be a separate transaction and thus each will have their own view of the database. The upshot of that is that you may get some odd results if you combine things from different connections. Which might or might not be acceptable. Jim