Re: Hot Backup and Offsite Backup System

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 11:26:37 +0000

Chet West wrote:

> I am going to have to setup a "Hot Backup" for Oracle 8.1.7 Standard
> Edition...as well as an offsite copy too (this one does not need to be a hot
> backup) What would be the best way to do this? Should I run in archive log
> mode on the primary and have the other two systems in recovery mode all the
> time? Enterprise Edition is not an option at this point. BTW, the offsite
> system is going to actually end up in the company owners house...and I am
> sure he is going to want the ability to log in and run reports against it
> while at home. Maybe I should consider some form of replication?
>
> Chet West
> chet.west_at_pinnaclecm.com

Standby sounds like the way to go...you keep the db in "managed" (ie auto) recovery mode, and the primary will just ship the archives over via sqlnet. You can pause recovery to open the database in read-only fashion - you could give the owner a 'n' hour window to run his queries.

hth
connor

--
Connor McDonald