Re: Database import problem on solaris 2.8 errno 79 overflow...

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 11:15:46 +0000

Carmine Marino wrote:

> I have full access to the file. Also I just tried to open the file via VI
> and got the same error.
> vi spit out "Value too large for defined data type" which is what errno (dec
> 79, hex 0x4f) means.
>
> Is there some other kind of limit I need to set. Perhaps one of the shared
> memory setting I set when installing Oracle. Perhaps its too low. Here is
> my /etc/system file:
> any help is greatly appreciated!
>
> set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=4294967295
> set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
> set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=100
> set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=100
> set semsys:seminfo_semmns=2000
> set semsys:seminfo_semmni=2000
> set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=2000
> set semsys:seminfo_semmap=500
> set semsys:seminfo_semmnu=2000
> set semsys:seminfo_semume=200
> set semsys:seminfo_semvmx=32767
>
> "Ron Reidy" <rereidy_at_indra.com> wrote in message
> > Carmine Marino wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi All,
> > > Any help is greatly appreciated.
> > > I am trying to import a very large dmp file (3.2 GB) into Oracle 8.1.5
> on
> > > solaris 2.8.
> > > I have plenty of space on the database file partition and my ulimit is
> > > unlimited.
> > >
> > > I run the following command:
> > >
> > > $ imp ausername/apassword parfile=imp.par
> > >
> > > the par file:
> > > FILE=/oracle/db_dump/file.dmp
> > > FULL=N
> > > IGNORE=Y
> > > INDEXES=N
> > > CONSTRAINTS=N
> > > GRANTS=N
> > > COMMIT=N
> > > FEEDBACK=1000
> > > FROMUSER=ausername
> > > TOUSER=ausername
> > > LOG=/oracle/db_dump/imp.log
> > >
> > > the log file:
> > >
> > > Connected to: Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.5.0.0 - Production
> > > With the Partitioning and Java options
> > > PL/SQL Release 8.1.5.0.0 - Production
> > >
> > > IMP-00002: failed to open /oracle/db_dump/file.dmp for read
> > > IMP-00021: operating system error - error code (dec 79, hex 0x4F)
> > > Import terminated successfully with warnings.
> > >
> > > ulimit -a:
> > > time(seconds) unlimited
> > > file(blocks) unlimited
> > > data(kbytes) unlimited
> > > stack(kbytes) unlimited
> > > coredump(blocks) unlimited
> > > nofiles(descriptors) unlimited
> > > vmemory(kbytes) unlimited
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance!
> > > Carmine
> > > carmine.marino_at_bowlinesolutions.com
> > The message says it all...there is an error in the file name or the file
> > is not readable by you.
> > --
> > Ron Reidy
> > Oracle DBA
> > Reidy Consulting, L.L.C.

'imp' may be having a drama handling the fact that its larger than 2G. (This has varied from version to version of Oracle).

I'm not sure if this will work, but maybe try cat-ing the file through a named pipe, and importing from that.

mknod myfile.dmp p
cat BLAH.dmp > myfile.dmp &
imp file=myfile

or thereabouts..