Re: RBS growing to size of disk after import

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 06:13:00 +1100

You could try COMMIT=Y on the import side of things next time. The default is COMMIT=N, and what that means is that import has to create a table, load it completely full of all its data and *then* do a single, huge commit. That means the rollback generated during the inserts remains "live" until that big commit -the rollback segment fills up, is not permitted to overwrite the earlier rollback (because it's still "live"), and consequently has to acquire additional extents to keep going.

With COMMIT=Y, import will commit after each array insert (the size of which depends on things like your BUFFER= parameter). Basically, that means it does many more, smaller commits -which means that by the time the rollback segment is full, it can merrily overwrite the earlier rollback information, because it's long-since been committed, and thus not need to grow the segment.

Given that the problem has now happened, you're going to need to alter rollback segment blah shrink to 100m; and follow that up with an alter database datafile '/bing/bong/blah.dbf' resize 500m; (or whatever values are appropriate for you).

If I were you, I'd also be wondering about doing an 'alter database datafile 'etc' autoextend off' for good measure (imports will fail, but then you're entire hard disk doesn't get hijacked either).

Regards
HJR

--
Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com