Re: CBO calculates lower cost, but runs slower...

From: Paul Moore <paul.moore_at_atosorigin.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 16:42:48 +0100

On Tue, 20 Nov 2001 12:31:26 +0100, nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam (Nuno Souto) wrote:

>I've had quite a few tell me that "plans with higher costs cannot
>possibly execute faster". No qualification of the statement
>whatsoever. Oh well...

And even with all of Jonathan's provisos (except I changed OPTIMIZER_GOAL to FIRST_ROWS, but I though that just changed the decision criteria, not the cost calculation), I do get exactly this - a plan with a higher cost executing faster.

Of course, if the FIRST_ROWS goal causes the cost calculations to be done completely differently, I'm going to feel very stupid :-)

Paul. Received on Tue Nov 20 2001 - 09:42:48 CST