Re: oracle client network install

From: PenguinDBA <spaceboy_one_at_NOSPAMHOTmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 12:10:11 +0100

An alternative would be setting TNS_ADMIN, I would think.

Installing could be made "easier" using slient install and a .rsp script - examples are available on 8i server install disk. The older versions where buggy, but the managed to make it work on the lastest versions.

Good luck

Regards
penguinDBA
"Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-family_at_home.com> skrev i en meddelelse news:1XwJ7.39427$XJ4.22881668_at_news1.sttln1.wa.home.com...
> One thing you can do is in the tnsnames.ora file have an entry that says
> ifile=o:\someFolder\tnsnames.ora
> That way you can share the tnsnames.ora file with all the Oracle client
> installs. Thus if you need to make a change you can make it in one place
> and not on 100 machines.
> You will still have to install the Oracle client on the individual
machines.
> Jim
> "rocr" <ro_cright_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi gang,
> > -- I am trying to setup a client installation on +100 clients machines
> > (windows 2000) that will run an application that queries an oracle
> database
> > loaded on a server(windows 2000 Server Advanced Edition).
> > -- I do not want to run separate oracle client installations at each
> > machine. I would like to install the client on a shared drive on the
> > network and have the users map a drive to it, call it the O:\ drive.
(The