Re: ORA-12500 setting up database connection

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 06:33:45 GMT

Eric Logsdon wrote:

> I have just installed Oracle 9i on an NT4.0 server. I am attempting to set
> up my first database. I used the Database Configuration Assistant to create
> a "general purpose" database with default values. After the create process
> runs, I try to configure a net service name on my workstation (Win2k) to
> connect to the database. When I press the test button, I get the message
> "ORA-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process". Can
> someone point me the right direction in getting this set up?
>
> Thanks.

Eric,

Make sure that the instance is started.
Here "instance" refers to memory and OS process (oracle.exe).

at a command prompt:

C:\> set oracle_sid=ORCL (or whatever value you chose during db create)

C:\> svrmgrl

   SVRMGR> connect / as sysdba
     connected.

   SVRMGR> select * from v$database
     ORA-01034: Oracle not available (or shared realm does not exist)

   SVRMGR> startup

        <here you will see the SGA being allocated>

   SVRMGR> quit

If you get a message about not being able to find the parameter file, use:

   SVRMGR> startup pfile='D:\Oracle\Admin\ORCL\pfile\initORCL.ora'

hth,

Paul Received on Tue Nov 20 2001 - 00:33:45 CST