an issue with fixed_date init.ora parameter

From: Pete Finnigan <pete_at_peterfinnigan.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 21:21:33 +0000

Hi All

I thought I would share a recent issue I found whilst doing an Oracle security pentest / audit with everyone on this list. This is not a bug in oracle but a test parameter provided by Oracle that could be used maliciously.

An application we looked at used the oracle system date SYSDATE quite extensively in its functionality and calculations. It was possible to cause mis-calculations in the system by altering an initialisation parameter.

I have written a short paper describing this if anyone is interested. Its at http://www.pentest-limited.com/fixed-date.htm.

The point being, if you use SYSDATE in your code then beware of the parameter fixed_date as it could cause issues and should be protected from change.

regards,
Pete Finnigan
www.pentest-limited.com

--