Re: How does one reclaim temp space?

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 05:22:31 +1100

It's not supposed to shrink. That's not what TEMP does. Extents created by large sorts are not relinquished, but are marked as being re-useable by subsequent sorts that need the space. This crops up with a fair degree of regularity on the group.

However, if you are desperate for the space back, there are things you can do: shutdown and startup springs to mind. Also, take the tablespace offline and then online. Or, depending on what sort of temporary tablespace it is, alter it to be permanent and then alter it back again to temporary.

Regards
HJR

--
Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com