Re: Applying archivelogs to a cold backup - shortcut?

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 19:47:03 +1100

That's probably because you restored the control files (and online redo logs?). You shouldn't have done. If performing an incomplete recovery (which is what an 'until cancel' is), you *only* restore the datafiles (all of 'em).

If you restore the whole lot (especially from a cold backup) the thing is entirely consistent and requires no recovery.

If you have genuinely lost all controlfiles and all redo logs, it's not just an automated backup strategy that's up the spout, it's the entire database configuration. Whatever happened to multiplexing of control files and redo logs?

Regards
HJR

--
Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com