Re: I could not start OracleOraHome81ManagementServer service

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 13:18:17 +1100

Comments embedded.
HJR

--
Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com
===============================

"Roben Zhang" <lzhang_at_opentext.com> wrote in message

> Thanks for your reply, Howard.
>
> I just tried this command, it was terminated successfully. What is the
> next i should do? By the way, i have multiple databases in the same
> computer. I just need to copy one of the databases to another in the
> same computer. Will this command export all the databases in the
> computer?

Only the one you connect to, either explicitly (exp system/manager_at_SPECIFY_SID_HERE) or implicitly (without a tnsnames alias, you connect to whatever ORACLE_SID is set to before invoking export).
> I have visited your web site and tried to follow the instructions of
> article
> 'Cloning a Database'. But i was failed to start SQL Plus for the clone
> in Step 1.
If you can't even start sql plus, we're in deep trouble. Type sqlplus /nolog at the command prompt, and then type a connect string. If you need help on that, we're in even deeper trouble than I thought, and you'll really need to learn some basic first before going any further.
> I have couple of questions in Step 1.
> 1. I should copy .dbf and .log files from source database to clone
> database, but
> not .ctl files (control file), is that right?
Correct. That's what the paper says, and it says it for a reason. The Control File contains pointers to the *existing* data files and redo logs. Since you are copying them to a new location, it makes no sense to bring along the control files as well.
> 2. After i have run the statement:"ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE
> TO TRACE"
> a trace file will be created in the source database location. I
> should copy
> it to clone location and then edit it. Is that right?
Correct. If the clone is being made on the same machine as the original database, there's strictly speaking no need to move the file. Provided that, when it comes to running the script, you explicitly point to where it is stored.
> 3. when i edit init.ora file, for LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST (and variants), you
> marked
> the source archives must not be overwritten by the clone's. Is that
> mean i
> should use special variant for clone's init.ora? What is that
> variant for
> clone's.

Wherever you want the clone's archives to be written. Pick a directory. Any directory. It really doesn't matter. So long as it's not the same directory as where the source database's archives are being written.
> By the way, should i use Database Configuration Assistant to create
> empty database for clone first or just follow the steps to create
> folder, copy files, edit files?

Sometimes I despair, I really do. If you were supposed to do that, I would have mentioned it, wouldn't I? If you create your own database using the Configuration Assistant, it's not exactly going to be a "clone" (i.e., an identical copy) of the source, is it? Just follow the instructions as written. Don't skip over the bit about using oradim to create the new service first. Regards HJR