Re: Oracle is consistent

From: J. Fleck <fleckj__at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 22:07:16 +0100

Hans,

Thanks for reacting. I don't realy blame Oracle. I am almost certain that it is my fault (or my hardware configuration). However a number of points: - The Oracle documentation does not does not adequatelt this error - I installed as adminstrator. Oracle will not install if you are not logged in as admistrator. Qracle does then add me to another group (ORA_DBA) - I have 1 gig memory
- I completely removed every reference to Oracle (in what you correctly describe as that disaster called) the registry - I cannot find anything in the installdocumentation that explains why I should be receiving the message ORA-12560 when trying to install the sample database
- I cannot find anything at all (on the internet) which clearly explains (to me) what this message means
- A last question:

   Do you know what the Oracle error message from the following (incorrect) statements is:

declare

    p_local varchar2(10);
begin

   p_local_variable := "";
end;

I am talking about versie 8.1.5 - I must try it under later versions

regards

Jim Fleck
"Hans Forbrich" <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net> wrote in message news:3BF4C7BA.CCAEAA94_at_telusplanet.net...
> Jim,
>
> I suspect that your problem is more environmental - possibly too little
memory,
> too many secondary or perhaps conflicting processes, network card or
account
> priveledge issues. Or possibly the edition of W2K. Or some conflicting
> program. Or you might have something from an earlier problematic install
stuck
> in that wonderful insanity called the registry.
>
> Come to think of it, you probably did yourself in by having installed
under a
> non-administrator account and then retroactively changing to admin
capabilities,
> as you clearly indicate.
>
> I do a lot of demos and like to work with a fresh environment, including
> Oracle8i (8.1.6, 8.1.7) or Oracle9i, every couple of weeks. As a result,
I've
> done about 15 installs in the past few months - and not one of them has
taken
> more than 1 1/2 hours until up and running. And currently I have Oracle
8.1.7
> and Oracle9i running. I also know many, many others who have had no
difficulty.

> It's sad to hear specific incidents of difficulty, but possibly
inappropriate to
> blame Oracle. Kind of reminds me of the guy who blamed Ford when he
couldn't
> figure out how to install new wiper blades ...
>
> Unfortunately many people who have problems installing Oracle on Wintel do
so
> because they assume the installation is on the same order of complexity as
most
> Windows games. Thus they rarely read the manual, the readme, or anything
else.
> For those people, and especially those who like the joke about airlines -
> remember; no matter who built it, when we go for a ride, we hope trained
> professionals maintain and fly commercial aircraft.
>
> "J. Fleck" wrote:
>
> > Hi oracle lovers
> >
> > After trying to install 8.1.7 on W2K (for about 8 weeks), using only
Oracle
> > default values:
> >
> > a.. first problem starting Listener - Windows error 5: access denied
> > b.. solved problem (or symptoms) by going to Services screen,
selecting
> > the Oracle add-ins, Log On, changing option from 'Local System Account'
> > 'This account' and then selecting <adminstrator> account and
<adminstrator
> > password>
> > c.. Phew! Now we are going to have fun
> > d.. Tried to create database
> > e.. Naughty boy - ora-12560 (tsn protocal adaptor error) - what is an
> > "adaptor" ?
> > f.. Looked everywhere on the internet - very common problem. Not many
very
> > solutions - except read Oracle documentation - solution is "turn tracing
on"
> > 8 weeks later - why don't try we Oracle 9 - ok lets go
> >
> > - downloaded
> >
> > a.. first problem starting Listener - Windows error 5: access denied
> > b.. solved problem (or symptoms) by going to Services screen,
selecting
> > the Oracle add-ins, Log On, changing option from 'Local System Account'
> > 'This account' and then selecting <adminstrator> account and
<adminstrator
> > password>
> > c.. Phew! Now we are going to have fun
> > d.. Tried to create database
> > e.. Naughty boy - ora-12560
> > I am reminded of the comparison between different operating systems (ok
> > know that Oracle isn't an operating system - lets call it poetic
licence)
> > that I read a number of years ago. An aircraft has to be designed and
built
> > using software running under a particular OS:
> >
> > a.. Windows - the aircraft is built in record time. It can carry 5000
> > passengers at 5000 kph. On the maiden flight, it streaks to 10000 metres
in
> > 5 seconds then explodes, killing all 20 passengers. Microsoft then
announces
> > that the following version will be somewhat slower and more expensive
but
> > only 50% of the passengers will be killed;
> > b.. Unix - The passengers arrive at the airport and are given a plan
> > build their own aircraft. After 3 hours they have a row and all decide
> > build their own aircraft. A number succeed. All passengers are expected
> > have a pilot's licence.
> > c.. Linux- A splinter Unix group. The aircraft is very cheap. All
> > passengers are expected to have a pilot's licence and they must re-build
the
> > aircraft before every flight
> > d.. IBM - builds a very reliable model based on well tried technology.
Can