Re: EXPLAIN PLAN madness!

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 02:47:21 GMT

in article 3bf3f396.61729662_at_ausnews.austin.ibm.com, Ed Stevens at Ed_Stevens_at_nospam.noway.nohow wrote on 11/15/01 9:04 AM:

> How about differences in some memory spec in the SGA?

Sure - differences in sort_area_size can cause different plans. Why don't you just diff the two init.ora's and post the results. Both explain plans may also help, plus the relevant stats on the objects (not sure if you can see these in Oracle8)

Re your other reply

> Test database is loaded from production regularly, so key distribution
> should be the same, even when total data volume diverges through use.

Hmm - if your test has a subset of production, then key distribution could be a problem unless you ensure that the distributions match (but I doubt this is the problem). Received on Thu Nov 15 2001 - 20:47:21 CST