Re: IAS JServ and mod_ose

From: Cristian Veronesi <c.veronesi_at_crpa.it>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 16:31:35 +0100

Marie Ricketts wrote:

> Can anyone explain why Oracle has apparently provided 2 different servlet
> engine architectures for Oracle 8i?

The latest version of IAS includes *three* different servlet engines: JServ, mod_ose and OC4J.
I just gave a superficial look at the docs (there are tons of paper!), but as far as I understood the difference between JServ and mod_ose is that JServ uses the JVM that comes with Apache, while mod_ose uses the JVM embedded into the Oracle database (8i or 9i). OC4J, on the other hand, is a J2EE-certified environment independent from Apache (it includes its own web server) that can be linked to Apache using mod_proxy.
We made no decision yet, but I think I will suggest to adopt this product for our future projects. Any opinions?

Best regards, Cristian

--
Cristian Veronesi ><((((º> http://www.crpa.it

There are no good wars, with the following exceptions: The American
Revolution, World War II, and the Star Wars Trilogy. (Bart Simpson)