EXPLAIN PLAN (Quite long posting)

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 11:51:04 -0000

Morning all, or therabouts,

I'm wanting to educate my developers (and more importantly, myself) on the wierd and wonderful world of EXPLAIN PLAN.

I've got the manual open, and have studied it, and I can actually make quite a lot of sense out of it myself, but I'd like to get deeper into it and fully (?) understand what it tells me, how to best read it etc. Does anyone have any good links, to info, tutorials, books, etc which cover it in more detail. The manual (817) gives about 20 pages - but most of that is simply a brief explanation of each of the possible plan_table columns.

Oracle Performance Tuning 101 - covers it in about 3 pages, one simple example that even I can understand and not much more than that. Tom Kyte's Expert one-on-one Oracle - mentions it briefly in passing.

Regards,
Norman.

Norman Dunbar			EMail:	Norman.Dunbar_at_LFS.co.uk
Database/Unix administrator	Phone:	0113 289 6265
				Fax:	0113 289 3146
Lynx Financial Systems Ltd.	URL:	http://www.Lynx-FS.com