Re: oracle 8.1.7 on redhat 7.2

From: dr.j <jizwang_at_ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 01:47:28 GMT

"John Anselmo" <linuxr_at_home.com> wrote in message news:souI7.24759$Ze5.13334227_at_news1.rdc1.md.home.com...
> I tried installing oracle 8.1.7 on redhat linux 7.2 i created all the user
> accounts and groups the oracle environement i also have the latest and
> greatest glibc and all the redhat patches, however everytime i run the
> installer nothing happens, any help will be greatly appreciated thanks.

Since you are using RH7.2, there is a much simpler workaround (no needs for glibc2.1.3 compat libraries). I just finished a server two hours ago:

  1. as "oracle" user, export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 (a jre probme, otherwise nothing happens when you run runInstaller)
  2. install 8.1.7 usually. it will fail during relink phase, don't click "cancel" or "skip"
  3. open another terminal, set oracle environment, say $ORACLE_HOME
  4. edit $ORACLE_HOME/bin/genclntsh script and remove a line of "-v defs"
  5. execute $ORACLE_HOME/bin/genclntsh to generate oracle library (if you miss step 3, you will have a few "file not found" errors)

that is it. enjoy. Received on Wed Nov 14 2001 - 19:47:28 CST