ARC trace files on shutdown

From: Gail Binkley <gail_at_alberich.Stanford.EDU>
Date: 14 Nov 2001 16:18:31 GMT

Thanks to all who answered my question about OPTIMAL and LMTs. Good practical advice that wasn't in any reference I found.

I have another question regarding our recent RDBMS upgrade from 8.0.6.2 to 8.1.7.2 on Solaris 2.8. Everytime the database is shutdown, one or two arc trace files are generated. Does anyone know why? What is the purpose of these trace files? These arc trace files were never generated in 8.0.6.2. Once again, I've been unable to find an explanation of the new behaviour in the manuals or reference books.

The following is one of these arc trace files:

Dump file /ora0/app/oracle/admin/mad/bdump/mad_arc0_19636.trc Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.2.0 - 64bit Production With the Partitioning option
JServer Release 8.1.7.2.0 - 64bit Production ORACLE_HOME = /ora0/app/oracle/product/8.1.7 System name: SunOS

Node name:      poppy
Release:        5.8
Version:        Generic_108528-09
Machine:        sun4u

Instance name: mad
Redo thread mounted by this instance: 0 <none> Oracle process number: 9
Unix process pid: 19636, image: oracle_at_poppy (ARC0)

Thanks for your help again.

Gail Binkley
Stanford University
gail_at_genome.stanford.edu Received on Wed Nov 14 2001 - 10:18:31 CST