Re: Can oracle support encryption on some sensitive field in database?

From: Pete Finnigan <pete_at_peterfinnigan.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 14:18:17 +0000

Hi

Actually the 3DES is triple DES and has a 168 bit key, not 112, but its still DES and is known to be a weak algorithm as its symmetrical. You would be better using a public algorithm that uses public and private keys.

Also 3DES is only available on 8i rel3 AFAIK. single DES only on 8i rel2.

There is also an endian issue with using the dbms_obfuscation_toolkit package if you encrypt on intel and try to decrypt say on sparc it wont work.

I would either write an external procedure yourself in C or Java and call it or use a commercial tool.

HTH
Pete Finnigan
www.pentest-limited.com

In article <TRS29669CEF8_at_trais.com.ua>, Anatoly Moskovsky <avm_at_trais.com.ua> writes

--
Pete Finnigan
IT Security Consultant

Office  01565 830 990