Re: 9i 'optimizer_goal'

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 20:36:24 +0000

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> Yes, it's confirmed for Solaris -it's slightly embarrasing because the
> slides we use to teach 9i New Features for Administrators shows
> 'optimizer_goal', which was true in the beta. But by the time it got to
> production, it was changed to be 'optimizer_mode', except the slides weren't
> updated.
>
> It's embarrasing because we teach on Solaris, I have a dirty great note to
> myself in my course book to be aware of the change -and yet it still gets me
> every time, and I stuff up the demo!
>
> As ever,
> HJR
> --
> Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com
> ===============================
>
> "Connor McDonald" <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Can anyone confirm on a non-Win2K 9i platform?
> >
> > SQL> alter session set optimizer_mode = first_rows_1;
> >
> > Session altered.
> >
> > SQL> alter session set optimizer_goal = first_rows_1;
> > alter session set optimizer_goal = first_rows_1
> > *
> > ERROR at line 1:
> > ORA-01986: invalid option for OPTIMIZER_GOAL
> >
> > Yet - from the doco -
> >
> > "The OPTIMIZER_GOAL parameter can have the same values as the
> > OPTIMIZER_MODE initialization parameter"
> >
> > Cheers
> > Connor
> >
> > --
> > Connor McDonald
> >
> > http://www.oracledba.co.uk
> >
> > "Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue..."

My main concern at this, is that I prefer 'optimizer_goal' over 'optimizer_mode' because it doesn't descend into dictionary queries. Whilst I know our good friends at Oracle support having an instance wide setting of FIRST_ROWS (and thus the dictionary as well), but I'd much rather be having it being run as choose (ie rule) - just me being paranoid I guess.

--
Connor McDonald

http://www.oracledba.co.uk