Re: ORA-02030 & Tablespaces

From: Manuela Mueller <520040906697-0001_at_t-online.de>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 23:49:17 +0100

Michael Knox wrote:

> I've got Oracle 8i up and running it looks like -- thanks to Marty's help.
>
> When I run: "grant select on....", I get error message: "ORA-02030: can only
> select from fixed tables/views"
>
> Also, For the Jasmine ii Portal I'm setting up, I need to do the following:
>
> Create a non-system tablespace for the portal metadata. Check by issuing
> command:
> select segment_name, tablespace_name, status from sys.dba_rollback_segs;
>
> Allow select access to the v$parameter table:
> grant select on v$parameter to public
>
> Increase Oracle cursor limit to 255:
> open_cursor=255
>
> So I go to a command prompt, run svrmgrl, connect internal/oracle, and
> then....?
>
> I got the tablespace _name, obviously, since I just created it, but what is
> segment_name and v$parameter?
>
> Sorry if this seems horribly newbie-ish Any hand-holding is greatly
> appreciated.

Hello Michael,
I think it is helpful for you to read the concepts manual, it will save you a lot of trouble in the future.
Available online at OTN, URL is:
http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/server.817/a76965/toc.htm Create yourself a free account if you don't already have one. Concerning your question about segment_name, read at http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/server.817/a76965/c01intro.htm#7490 about 'Logical Database Structures'

Moving towards v$parameter...
Description of the Data Dictionary is available at the same document: http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/server.817/a76965/c04dicti.htm#233

You find details about the Dynamic View v$parameter in: http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/server.817/a76961/ch3103.htm#8319

Hope this helps
Manuela Mueller Received on Mon Nov 12 2001 - 16:49:17 CST