Re: ARG! Cannot resolve service name?????

From: Vincent Ventrone <vav_at_brandeis.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 14:28:59 -0500

...(snip)...

>       (ADDRESS_LIST =
>         (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC))
...snip...
>    (SID_DESC =

> (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
> (ORACLE_HOME = /u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.7)
> (PROGRAM = extproc)
> ) > ) ...(snip)... > ORA-12514: TNS:listener could not resolve SERVICE_NAME given in connect > descriptor > I am trying to connect as this:

> sqlplus chuck_at_BECKA_OPS1
> I have also tried numerous other connection strings.

For starters I don't know what your tnsnames.ora service definitions look like so it's difficult for me to tell whether you have any obvious problems -- such as wrong hostname or listening port. Also have you checked to see if there is SQLNET.ORA file lurking about that specifies a default domain? This is often a problem if the tnsnames.ora entries do not include the default domain specified in the client's SQLNET.ORA (e.g., "WORLD") in the service names. Also your listener.ora doesn't look right to me -- you only have an entry for the external proc. call. This is OK, but only if your databases are configured to register with the local listener automatically at startup time (by including a "service_names" parameter in the init.ora.) Otherwise you need entries in the listener.ora like this this one:

    (SID_DESC =

      (GLOBAL_DBNAME = SMSTST.WORLD)
      (ORACLE_HOME = /opt/oracle/product/8.0.6.3)
      (SID_NAME = SMSTST)

    )

However usually this prob. does not generate the particular error you are getting..

FWIW Received on Mon Nov 12 2001 - 13:28:59 CST