Re: Oracle won't relax when not being used.

From: Brian Dick <bdick_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 16:01:22 GMT

Since the IO is so small, I would believe that it's the DBWR checkpoint causing it. I would expect larger IO amounts if the server were thrashing.

It's not impossible that the server's working set can be below 256M. Improbable maybe, but not impossible. If the server's scope is very narrow or does not change frequently, paging would be minimal. And this is exactly the case when a server is mostly idle.

I would agree, though, that you may be running too close to the edge. Are you allowing for spikes in your processing load, database usage growth and non-database usage growth? All will put demands on memory outside of the SGA. Also, don't oversize the SGA. You may be wasting memory that can be better utilized somewhere else.