Oracle won't relax when not being used.

From: <johnt_at_tman.dnsalias.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 13:53:16 GMT

Hi, I have an aggravation w Oracle 901 on SUSE Linux 7.2. Basically, when the instance is running, it decides to write to the disk every 3-4 seconds. vmstat tells me it is writing about 10-20 blocks. I can tell that this is Oracle cause it doesn't happen when I shut down the server.

This happens even if there are no clients connected. Matter of fact, I started up Oracle, the 3-second writes started, and continued for over 24 hours (to this point). During this time-frame, not a single client connected.

So it is not a huge deal, but these writes to disk must be flushing through buffer, because every write creates an audible click from the hard drive. It is like my hard drive is clicking to time when Oracle is running.

If it matters, the server has 756M RAM, max pool used by Oracle is about 500M, and it makes extensive use of raw I/O, e.g. /dev/raw/...

Any ideas what Orcle is doing and if it can/ should be fixed?

Thanks,
JT. Received on Mon Nov 12 2001 - 07:53:16 CST