Re: Problem installing Personal Oracle 8i on Win 98

From: Styoung <styoung_at_aol.com>
Date: 12 Nov 2001 01:26:48 GMT

>On the non personal versions of Oracle the actual product install has
>finished at the point in which it offers to run the tools for you. So you
>have successfully installed the Oracle software, congratulations! What you
>are having problems with is one of the GUI configuration tools.
>
>Which tool in particular causes the blue screen and what was happening just
>before it did? This information will be needed so that someone in this group
>can help you.

If you look at this PDF:

http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/8i_personal/pdf/a73010.pdf

The problem occurs on Step 6 on page 52 of 122. It occurs during the Configuration Tools setup for the Oracle Database Configuration Assistant. Another window pop up for that installation (Making Database Startup Automatically?) and then a DOS window with COMMAND.COM at the end of the title appears. It is at that exact moment the BSOD appears. I had to reboot my computer to get back to my desktop. All the Oracle icons appear in my Program Menu so I assume it works. However I'd hate to run into weird problems later and have this be the reason. Thanks.