Re: Oracle Disks

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 20:44:53 GMT

In article <3E_G7.28875$hZ.2673488_at_newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>, "Ben H. Loosli" <looslib_at_cvn.net> wrote:

> I was in a presentation by a hardware vendor and they were saying that
> Oracle runs better if you have separate disk spindles for various Oracle
> tables.
>
> What is the best performance configuration for setting up an Oracle
> server system. We will be running Pro/Intralink as the application. We
> also will be putting all of the Pro/Engineer files on a Network Appliance
> Filer with pro/Intralink handling the pointers to those 'drives'.
>
> One large disk with all of the Oracle tables on it? Multiple disks for
> the different tables? A RAID array where the array puts files on any
> spindle.
>
> --
> Ben Loosli
> looslib_at_cvn.net

Well, I believe that a cluster of 4 HP "Superdome" machines with 128GB RAM and 64 CPUs each running on EMC with additional 64GB cache, configured as RAID 0+1 (striping and mirroring) should be able to serve at least 4 users (1 per node). Be sure to use 10000 RPM disks and FCAL connections instead of SCSI and your 4 lucky guys will have a relatively good performance.

--
Mladen Gogala
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. It smells like victory.