Re: How do you write an interactive application

From: Jay Eckles <j.eckles_at_computer.org>
Date: 9 Nov 2001 06:12:15 -0800

"Puneet Agarwal" <NOSPAM__puneetagarwal_at_india.com> wrote in message news:<9sg5bo$132ts2$1_at_ID-99266.news.dfncis.de>...
> For example if
> User A is viewing list of all the payments made on some date and user B
> records a new payment in that date, it should be immediately updated in User
> A's view automatically as it happens in QuickBooks etc.
>
> The calculation of Tax is
> being done on the basis of tax criteria fed in some other table. I would
> like this calculation logic to reside on the middle tier so that changes can
> be easily done and all the clients get updated information automatically.

This sounds like a great application for RMI. You can have the server call remote update methods on the clients, and the clients can call remote methods on the middle tier to do tax calculations. The RMI tutorial train at java.sun.com has an example of an RMI application that would be a good model for your tax calculations...it submits a task to a remote object and lets the remote object do the processing.

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/rmi/index.html

Good luck.

Jay Eckles
www.jayeckles.com Received on Fri Nov 09 2001 - 08:12:15 CST