Select ing a 6K CLOB through DB LINK

From: Randy Julien <randy.julien_at_veridian.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 19:58:01 +0000 (UTC)

Hello all--

I have been successfully selecting the first 4000 bytes of a clob through a database link by defining a view over the clob table that uses the dbms_lob.substr call (EG. DBMS_LOB.SUBSTR(DESCR,4000,1) DESCR.)

When I extend the substr length out to 6000 bytes, I receive and ORA-06502 "...character string buffer too small" error when I try to select the same clob data through the database link. I have no problem using the view with 6000 specified when I query the table directly and don't use the link.

I have been looking through the documentation and can't find any reference as to what character string buffer I am exceeding. Can anybody point me in the right direction as to what buffer setting, and how to change it?

Note that I am selecting other columns from the table, so more than just the clob column is involved.

The platform is NT using 8.1.7, and the queries are all via SQL*PLUS.

Any help is greatly appreciated?

Thanks!

Randy

--