Re: Has Oracle actually erased the birth of Christ from the cale ndar?

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 16:43:12 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris O'Sullivan [mailto:itoys_at_tpg.com.au] Posted At: Friday, November 09, 2001 3:28 PM

>> The dates used were Dec 31, 0001bc and Jan 1, 0001ad.
Which should (?) have a difference of a single day - seeing as there is no year zero. So whatever the Julian day for 31/12/0001BC is plus 1 should give 01/01/0001 - but it doesn't !

>> Between these two dates, the Julian format element (has a gap of 367
days.
Well, the 367 would account for 366 days in a leap year, plus one to get from 31/12 to 01/01 - but it looks like the system is considering that there was a year zero in this case - I think.

>> Maybe, I need to post this to Microsoft because at least Bill seems
to listen!
Only when he can redefine the situation and call it a (new) standard :o)

regards,
Norman.

Norman Dunbar			EMail:	Norman.Dunbar_at_LFS.co.uk
Database/Unix administrator	Phone:	0113 289 6265
				Fax:	0113 289 3146
Lynx Financial Systems Ltd.	URL:	http://www.Lynx-FS.com