create local tablespace sanity check

From: Mike Jay <mikejay_at_mitre.org>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 12:03:24 -0500

Hi folks,

Is what I think I am doing what I am doing?

Intent:

My intent is to make a tablespace with an initial size of 20M where the datafile will stay below the 2G threshold with uniform extents of 256K via local management.

Environment:

Solaris 5.8 (assume 32-bit limitations)
Oracle 8.1.6

Actual SQL statement:

CREATE TABLESPACE theTablespace

	DATAFILE 'theDataFile.dbf' SIZE 20M
	AUTOEXTEND ON MAXSIZE 2000M
	EXTENT MANAGEMENT LOCAL UNIFORM SIZE 256K;

The UNIFORM SIZE 256K is I must confess a best guess based on the dictionary managed tablespace upon which the local is based.

In the maxdatafiles thread some time back, there was an article that indicated the MAXSIZE had to in actual fact be some number less than 2G, but I have yet to find it.

One other question specific to local tablespaces, if the size of the table exceeds 256K what happens, does it just use two extents? Or am I hosed?

Dictionary statement:

CREATE TABLESPACE theDictionaryTablespace

	DATAFILE 'theDictionaryDataFile.dbf'
	SIZE 20M AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT 20M MAXSIZE UNLIMITED
	DEFAULT STORAGE (INITIAL 50K
			NEXT 100K
			PCTINCREASE 0
			MINEXTENTS 1
			MAXEXTENTS UNLIMITED);

Having come from the HP-UX world with 8.0.5, the use of local extent management is new.

I have looked at the Oracle docs and HJR's Admin Tips, but I am missing an obvious gotcha here?

Thanks,
mikejay Received on Thu Nov 08 2001 - 11:03:24 CST