Online backup and renaming an instance

From: Knut Talman <knut.talman_at_mytoys.de>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 16:00:47 +0100

Hi,

I would like to do the following:

On our production system (Sun E3500, Solaris 2.6), we have a database (Oracle 8.0.5.2, Sybrand, I know it is desupported) which is always online and backed up with an online backup. I now want to clone the production database to have a test environment. I thought I can copy all the datafiles (from the online backup) to the new machine, also the backup controlfile and teh archived logs. I then:

  1. startup the database there,
  2. do a media recovery,
  3. open the database w/ resetlogs,
  4. shut it down,
  5. do an offline backup,
  6. start it again,
  7. back up controlfile to trace,
  8. modify the trace controlfile to reflect the new instance name,
  9. apply the resulting file,
  10. open the instance with the new name.

Number 10 is the problem. When I try a "alter database open resetlogs" the database tells me that file "sys01.dbf" needs recovery. But I have no valid archived redo logs for a recovery.

Where am I going wrong?

Thank you in advance,

Knut Received on Thu Nov 08 2001 - 09:00:47 CST