Performance on MVS

From: Neil Smith <neil.smith_at_npower.com>
Date: 8 Nov 2001 06:30:04 -0800

Is anyone here an expert on MVS?

I am working on a site where they have Oracle 8.1.5 on an IBM mainframe running MVS. The performance of the system is appaling, I can run the same query on the same volume of data on my rather old laptop in half the time that it takes the multi million pound mainframe to do it during a slack period of the night. The DBAs claim that the mainframe has very poor disk performance and that is the cause of the problem, and there is nothing that can be done about it.

I can't believe that this is the case. If an IBM mainframe is so poor at disk IO then why does anyone use them. Surely most stuff is IO bound.

Should I accept that this is the best that the mainframe can manage? Does anyone have any better experience with mainframes? Received on Thu Nov 08 2001 - 08:30:04 CST