Re: Stored outline internals

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 12:19:59 GMT

In a valiant and sublime effort,Connor McDonald frowned, dipped a thumb in soot and doodled:

>INDEX(emp emp_ix)
>FULL(dept)
>RULE
>
>The question is: If the rule optimizer has not changed since version
>"blah", surely then, just the RULE hint would suffice

weeeeeel, I don't want to sound discordant but I've seen instances where RULE and INDEX were used to convince a particularly reluctant optimizer to actually pick up an index. 8.0.6 was the last time I saw them.

There is so little detailed doco on the changes to the optimizer since 7.3.3 that it's almost impossible to definitively say "what works with who"...

>Alternatively, I've yet to generate an SQL where the hints *other* than
>the RULE hint are not sufficient to force the expected plan which would
>suggest the 'RULE' is superfluous

I can send you a few examples, all in Peoplesoft, where RULE was the only option. However, I'd say you're quite right: given a bunch of other hints, then RULE would appear to be redundant. Yet, one never knows: with all the "hidden" changes to optimizer rules that have been taking place over the last 4 or so years.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Thu Nov 08 2001 - 06:19:59 CST