Re: Query performace against View or Table.

From: Fraser McCallum <fmcc_at_NOSPAModbaguru.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 14:34:45 -0000

Jong

Suggestion, if you were to use a materialised view, then the query on the view would be very quick. However, as materialised views store a complete copy of the viewed data, you would have to allocate enough extra space in your tablespace.

Regarding your existing setup, using the view will still result in a query on the table, views are for all intents and purposes prebuilt sub-queries. What you should be more concerned with is does your view make effective use of any indexes you have. Views are more of a convenience thing to simplify users queries... nothing to do with any real performance improvements.

Regards

Fraser McCallum
MVP Oracle
www.brainbench.com