Re: WinNT does SHUTDOWN ABORT when Rebooting

From: Ron Reidy <rereidy_at_indra.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 06:31:07 -0700

Alan Rosenthal wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just read that when WindowsNT shuts down Oracle will do a SHUTDOWN ABORT
> operation rather than a SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE. I tested this on an 8.0.5 and
> an 8.1.7 running Win2k and when the instance restarted there was a crash
> recover in the alert log.
>
> How do you change this to a SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE?
>
> TIA,
>
> Alan

There are registry settings which control this. However, during shutdown, Windows will not necessarily wait for your instance to shutdwon (I don't remember how long it will wait) and after that time has elapsed, it will destroy the process (a good explanation is here: http://www.oreview.com/9805harr.htm).

--
Ron Reidy
Oracle DBA