Re: exp/imp vs DB link

From: Ronald <devnull_at_ronr.nl>
Date: 7 Nov 2001 03:51:03 -0800

"Cameron Abbott" <cvabbott_at_altavista.com> wrote in message news:<9s6ari$80j$1_at_bcarh8ab.ca.nortel.com>...
> As a follow up to my import question on Friday, would it be any quicker to
> create all the tables in the new DB without any data, then create a DB link
> and then select the data from DB1.table into DB2.table?
>
> FYI the import finally finished after 38 hours. I am going to try the
> suggestion of doing th import using indexfile to see if it any faster.

Hi Cameron,

as long as you don't have to deal with LONG datatypes you can use direct path inserts (using the APPEND hint). That will be LOTS faster than import. At the end create the indexes using parallel query processing and use imp to inport the stored objects with the ignore=y.

38 hours is a long time. I only need 2 to populate a 12G database using a db_link as described.

Ronald.

http://ronr.nl/unix-dba Received on Wed Nov 07 2001 - 05:51:03 CST