Re: Error in oracle sqlplus login

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 11:41:30 +0100

"SivaramaKrishnan Nageswaran" <nsiva_at_lucent.com> wrote in message news:3BE99CCB.D69EFA09_at_lucent.com...
> Hi all
> I've installed oracle on my linux box. When I run "sqlplus" command
> and when scott/tiger (username/password) is given, I'm getting the
> following error:
>
> Enter password:
> ERROR:
> ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
> ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
> Linux Error: 2: No such file or directory
>
> I'm not clear what this error is. Any comments or suggestion is
> recommended.
>
> Thanks & Regards
> Siva
>

> --
> SivaramaKrishnan Nageswaran (nsiva_at_bell-labs.com)
> Lucent Technologies
> Bell Labs Innovations
> Tel Dir:- (091)(080)5052490

You didn't start the database or the database refuses to start. Either you can
a) ps -ef | grep ora
or
b)
sqlplus /nologin
connect / as sysdba
show sga
startup

If b) doesn't work, your init.ora parameters are incompatible with your shared memory Linux parameters.

Hth

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA