Re: Bind Variables...

From: mark <mark_brehmen_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 7 Nov 2001 00:30:37 -0800

Thanks for being helpful as always Thomas

But i was under the assumption that when we use binds, the optimizer makes poor decisions compared to when it has the exact value since the optimizer puts pre- determined values to selectivity for the bind columns leading to a good (low) selectivity for the entire query.

From the little i know, different databases put an arbitary value for selectivity of 0.2 - 0.3 for the bind columns so as to favor the use of indexes . So if we use the bind when more than 15% of the rows of the table get retrieved, wont using the index might actually degrade performance. ( The 15% is the thumb rule, not always true). So wont the bind actually decrease performance if a large part of the table is retrieved?.

My brain is usually out for lunch and i may be totally wrong on this.

Pardon me for one small question out of this topic . Does the Ordering of columns matter in "Create Index". From the small test i conducted, it does not seem to matter. Celko says it may matter (Sql for Smarties). The other experts seem to be divided on this.